Exclusive Timepieces

Sat 7 December 2019 ‒ 3:00 pm | Monaco

Previous Lot Next Lot
153

Rolex Very Rare and Unusual Prince Brancard in Yellow Gold, Reference 3937, Custom Made for “1/4 Century Club”, to Commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Employee Service

Estimation € 8,000 – 16,000

Model: Prince
Material: Yellow Gold
Reference N°: 3937
Year: 1940s
Case N°: 682799
Caliber: 7 1/2
Movement type: Manual
Bracelet: Leather Strap
Dimensions: 35.5 mm
Signed: Dial, case and movement
Accessories: Certificate

The Prince is probably one of those models that lead the foundations for the ascent of Rolex in watchmaking world. Distinct, refined and elegant this watch is among the most attractive Art Deco wristwatches ever made and one of the symbols of luxury during the Depression-era. Launched in 1928, it has been produced in various versions such as the Classic, the Brancard or the Railway like the present lot offered here. Its special design with a rectangle case and a large dial for the hours and minutes positioned slightly above the seconds was totally unusual for the time and very conformable for checking the heartbeat of the patients, that was the reason which gave this model the nickname of “doctor’s watch”. The watch offered her is a reference 3937 with a yellow-gold case and fancy lugs reports on the snap on case back the engraving Presented to Hugh Mc. Neill on his becoming a member of “The Timothy Eaton quarter-century Club”, 1926–1951. This watch was in fact a special request from Eaton & Co and the dials presents the signature Eaton instead of the classic Rolex. The silver quadrant has a wonderful two-tone structure with the very rare champlevé letters “1/4 Century Club” instead of numerals and blued steel feuille hands. Cased in several versions comprising 9K, 14K and 18K yellow, white or pink gold, platinum, silver, stainless steel or combinations the Prince like this watch enjoys absolutely great popularity amongst collectors. The Eaton department store, one of Canada’s largest retailers at the time, was opened by Timothy Eaton in Toronto in 1869 and between 1930 and 1960 the “Century Club” watches like the present one were given to employees as a reward for 25 years of loyal service.

Bid anywhere from your mobile

Our app is now available on App Store and Google Play.