Exclusive Timepieces & Jewels
17 July 2019 | Monaco | Lot 59
Patek Philippe MISSING IN THE TRAY A fine and rare Patek Philippe reference 1450 Top-Hat in 18k Pink gold rectangular wristwatch with hooded lugs
Estimate € 8,000 – 15,000
Model: Top Hat Or Cinesino Retailed By Haussmann & Co
Material: Pink gold
Reference N°: 1450
Case N°: 628698
Movement N°: 834407
Bracelet: leather strap
Dimensions: 25 mm x 36 mm
Accessories: Extract from the archives
The reference 1450 is one of the most appreciated among collectors and has been given the nickname “Top Hats” or more affectionately by the Italian collectors “Cinesino” due to its particular case design: this reference was introduced in the 1940 and discontinued 20 years later in 1960. The cases were made by Markowski, the distinguished case maker for shape watches, dials were made by Stern Freres and the movements were the calibres 9'''90, the best of its kind used by Patek Philippe for most of its shaped wristwatches. The present example in pink gold is a nice representation of this reference and still retains its original 18 carat stamp on the case back. The hooded lugs are still well preserved and sharp while near the edges is slowly rising an oxidation. The pink gold dial is in great conditions with applied baton and dot indexes and to add even greater desirability to this timepiece is the Hausmann & Co. signature on the lower section of the dial. Hausmann & Co. was founded in Rome in 1794 by Ernst Hausmann, a young German clockmaker and his friend and partner Hermann Frielingsdorf. The firm is still residing in the same premises in Rome’s historical center and represents the world’s most prestigious watch and clock manufacturers, notably Patek Philippe. A true piece of collection, this lot is an opportunity not to be wasted by possessing an extremely fascinating object.
Accompanied by a Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in rose gold with satin finished rose dial and rose gold hour markers in 1941 and its subsequent sale on September 17th, 1941.