Exclusive Timepieces 7 December 2019 | Monaco LOT 67
Patek Philippe Tasteful and Sophisticated Calatrava in Pink Gold, Reference 96, With Pink Subsidiary Seconds Dial
Estimate € 10,000 – 20,000
Material: Pink Gold
Reference N°: 96
Case N°: 299077
Caliber: 12–120 PS
Movement type: Manual
Movement N°: 925903
Bracelet: Leather Strap
Dimensions: 31 mm
Signed: Dial, case and movement
Accessories: Extract from the archives
If there is ever to create a ranking of the most iconic and important time-only watches in the history of the industry, among those conceived by Patek Philippe at the first place would certainly be the reference 96. This model is undoubtedly a cornerstone of Patek Philippe production and represents the first example of what is today possibly the most elegant lines of wristwatches: the Calatrava. The 96 was launched in 1932 and further changed the way of defining watches because it became the first model in history to which the reference number was added. Its legendary design incorporated elements of Bauhaus, late Art Deco and modernism with no additional and unnecessary ornaments or decorations. The present lot is a wonderful specimen pink-on-pink. The 32mm case is perfectly preserved with two strong hallmarks, one on the band and one beneath the lugs. A myriad of dials variations throughout its production period have been produced and the one equipped on the present model is one of the nicest. Its pink color is perfect, the long enamel signature at 12 o’clock is correct for the manufacture date. The pearled edges work as a frame for the applied baton numerals in gold and the subsidiary seconds above 6 o’clock. Discontinued in 1973, this is one of the longest in Patek Philippe production and was equipped with the caliber 12–120, one of the most rare equipped on a Patek Philippe Calatrava. Amongst connoisseurs, reference 96 is the benchmark par excellence when measuring the elegance of a watch, as well a true example for the category.
Accompanied by a Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in rose gold in 1944 and its subsequent sale on 23 August 1945.